market-farming - Re: "bunching" swiss chard

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Del Williams" <delannw AT dlogue.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: "bunching" swiss chard
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 21:54:25 -0600

Joan,

When I thin out Swiss Chard (direct seeded) I water first and come back a
little while later after the plant leaves have dried out a bit. Then I pull
out the plants I want to thin out and 'transplant' them. I push my finger
into the moist soil, set the plant in the hole and sort of pinch the soil
back around the plant. Then I water again.

I use soaker hoses around chard.

The weeds, the endless weeds. I am always thankful when the chard gets big
enough to shade out new weed growth.

With chard I also plant closer than the recommended spacing and sell some of
thinnings. Some of my customers like to use tender chard in salads.

Del Williams
Farmer in the Del
Clifton IL