market-farming - Re: Hello responses

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Joan Vibert <joan AT windwalker-farm.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Hello responses
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 08:25:40 -0600

Jeanine - on the fingerlings - they require a longer growing period and are
considered a later season crop as opposed to early potatoes. They don't
achieve their size until towards the end of the season. Don't harvest them
for new potatoes - you'll have peanut-sized potatoes. Wait till the vines
are completely died down and then do a test dig for them. And - as far as
price goes - at our market we get $3 a pound for fingerlings as opposed to
$2 a pound for the regular varieties. We've found that fingerlings sell
much better if you can give them recipe ideas to go along with them.

On your yard-longs - I've grown and sold them for two years now and bundle
them in 1/4 and 1/2 pound bundles - they sell well for $1.25 for the 1/4 #
and $2.50 for the 1/2 # bundles. Always sell out! I'm planting twice as
much this year - the restaurants really like them too.

As someone mentioned - if you don't have Johnny's commercial catalog be sure
to get one and don't hesitate to ask them questions. When I called in one
of my Johnny's orders last week I got a tip that was worth way more than the
cost of the phone call. Many of you may know this but I hadn't figured it
out yet - when seeding bunching onion indoors ( and probably out doors too)
seed them into larger cells and put 6 to 10 seeds per cell. Then when they
are set out they are already in a bunch and quicker to plant and harvest!
I'm starting mine today!

Sounds like you're doing great already.

joan
windwalker farm