market-farming - Re: Bt Sweet Corn

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Del Williams" <delannw AT dlogue.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Bt Sweet Corn
  • Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 06:58:29 -0500

Planting a row of trees will not stop pollen drift.

Good neighbors don't plant crops or adopt practices that contaminate their
neighbors' crops. Nor do they adopt farming practices that destroy other
farmers' production. Lawsuits are the only way some farmers will be able to
protect their livelihoods.

I can tell you one thing, if my sheep raising neighbors found my dogs
killing their sheep they would not waste a moment telling me I was going to
pay for them...even though they don't have the common sense to fence sheep
in an area with a high coyote and wild dog population. And my neighbor
would have a perfect right to shoot those dogs and ask me to pay for dead
sheep. If I declined to pay I'd bet they find a legal remedy. Even though
I think my neighbor is irresponsible with these sheep it would be wrong of
me to let my dogs roam and run his sheep to death. Would it not?

I simply do not understand why anyone would plant genetically modified crops
given what we know and don't know about them. I'd really like to hear from
some of the proponents of GMO's on this list cuz I don't get it.

Del Williams
Farmer in the Del
Clifton IL