market-farming - Re: Farm Credit

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: jeffery uhlig <juhlig AT mailhost.chi.ameritech.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Farm Credit
  • Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2001 11:02:18 -0500

Liz,
I had the same info in my business plan packet. It seems he made up his
mind
as soon as he saw the words organic and vegetables. I have a great
relationship
with my fellow conventional corn and bean farmers some are even customers. We
can live side by side and I don't see it as a sell out. Hey they look at us
and
see we make 10 times the income per acre and growing while they have to
survive
on $2 corn and $4 beans. Lots of them are selling to developers. I think it is
the job of the institution to educate its employees about the options new
farmers have available to them today and the job of the agent to make sure to
stay up to date as well. Since being turned down I have been featured in
Illinois Agriculture, Conscious Choice magazine, spoke to the Illinois OCIA
annual meeting and have grown by a factor of four since starting three years
ago. I will be going back to my lender for additional funds to expand next
season and FC won't be part of the success story. Thanks Jeff