market-farming - RE: questions for the group - selling to restaurants....

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Frankie Whitman <FWhitman AT freshnex.com>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: questions for the group - selling to restaurants....
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 15:41:42 -0500

Leslie et al,

I work with an internet company that links suppliers directly with restaurants. Our customers are primarily white tablecloth restaurants around the country. Our experience is that chefs are looking for unusual products and very flavorful products. More and more chefs are seeking organic, as long as the pricepoint is within reach. We have been having a really hard time finding baby vegetables, haricot verts, things like that. We are moving things like fresh herbs, microgreens, but are always looking for new suppliers. Certainly in the summer we'll be looking for heirloom tomatoes. Actually heirloom varieties of practically anything.

If there are other growers who are looking to connect with restaurants and who may be set up to package and ship nationally (small package delivery using FedEx primarily), let me know.

FrankieWhitman
fwhitman AT freshnex.com