market-farming - Re: organic corn (fwd)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Hook Family" <guldann AT ix.netcom.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: organic corn (fwd)
  • Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 07:02:16 -0700

Yes some corn is described as having tight husks. One variety is Tuxedo
from Fedco, we grew it last year and will grow this year. Members loved it.
However it was not bug free, loosely speaking 20% had a worm in the tip. I
believe there are other varieties but haven't found them yet, I would like
to try them as well. Beth

> Hi-
> I used to order organic corn from an organic produce wholesaler
(Organically
> Grown Cooperative) in Eugene, OR. I was told by one of their staff that
> there are varieties of corn that are "tighter" and more "closed" (excuse
my
> very technical language!) where the silks are and apparently this can be a
> good deterrent as well to the moth that lays its eggs in the corn.
Someone