market-farming - Re: Farmers' Markets (sign of the times?) (fwd)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Hook Family" <guldann AT ix.netcom.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Farmers' Markets (sign of the times?) (fwd)
  • Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 19:11:23 -0700

Thats the point exactly. The field wasn't level to start with. I am not
knowledgable enough but there are also the factors of gov. funds that allow
"cheap" food and cheap transportation ie gov. funded highways. I see
farmers' markets as a drop in the bucket competion wise to a grocery store.
In most places farmers' markets are seasonal anyway. And as I said before
(I read this as well) the customer as far as produce goes, grocery store vs
farmers' markets are two different beings. Supermarkets are convenient and
consistent and organized, farmers' markets have or hopefully have atmosphere
and fresher food. And as someone pointed out farmer's markets are licensed
businesses. I can't imagine any modern consumer buying everything they eat
at the farmers market, they probably shop in bothes venues. So no I do not
feel sorry for grocery stores I see them as my competion and hypethetically
I am theirs. Although I don't think a 37 members CSA plus "table" by the
side of the road is going to scare the 4 grocery store within a 4 mile
radius of me. Beth

Dave wrote:
being level is OK. There is an awful lot of posts about unfairness the other
direction here.

> I wrote previously
> "Hook Family" <guldann AT ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> > I don't
> >think its truely fair to compare overhead grocery store vs. farmer at a
> >farmers' market in that there are very few grocery stores that are not
huge
> >chains with a large corporation behind them and quanity buying power.
Beth