market-farming - Re: Farmers' Markets (sign of the times?) (fwd)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Hook Family" <guldann AT ix.netcom.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Farmers' Markets (sign of the times?) (fwd)
  • Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 09:00:50 -0700

I don't think grocery stores need worry about going out of business due to
farmers' markets. I think for the most part (at least seasonally) its a
different customer base, those that want conveince and those that want fresh
produce (hopefully local) plus a shopping "experience". If the experience
is combined with great tasting food you'll have a repeat customer. I don't
think its truely fair to compare overhead grocery store vs. farmer at a
farmers' market in that there are very few grocery stores that are not huge
chains with a large corporation behind them and quanity buying power. Beth