market-farming - Farmers' Markets (sign of the times?) (fwd)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <london AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Farmers' Markets (sign of the times?) (fwd)
  • Date: Sun, 14 May 2000 08:16:46 -0400 (EDT)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 13 May 2000 19:44:35 +0100
From: Bluestem Associates <bluestem AT webserf.net>
To: "sanet-mg AT ces.ncsu.edu" <sanet-mg AT ces.ncsu.edu>
Subject: Farmers' Markets (sign of the times?)

Listening to the Cleveland-KC game today, I heard the following spot
advertisement for a local (in Cleveland) chain of food stores (quoted
as closely as I remember)...

"Looking for fresh produce, but tired of running around? Come to the
Farmers' Market at [name of chain]. We've got the fresh produce you
want, right here. Who cares if it comes from the other side of the
state, or the other side of the world? Top quality. Reasonable prices.
None of the hassle. The Farmers' Market at [name of chain]."

People considering direct marketing via farmers' markets should engrave
that advert in their minds. My interpretation is that the average
consumer has become so strapped for time and so stressed out that going
to the farmers' market is no longer a potentially pleasant experience
for them.

Note, too, the blatant dismissal of locally grown, and the clear
implication that locally grown = poor quality, expensive, and a hassle.
Unfortunately, at many of the farmers' markets I've visited (Madison,
Wisconsin being a notable exception), the locally grown "equation" is
more true than it ought to be.

Bart