market-farming - Re: Lowering PH

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Peg Cook" <pegcook AT northnet.org>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Lowering PH
  • Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 12:02:40 -0400

Peter,
The oyster shell flour is probably the reason your pH did raise. I would
suggest adding Sulfur to your potatoes when planting. Just lightly sprinkle
some Sulfur into the furrow and lightly work into soil just prior to putting
in the seed piece. Keep in mind that Sulfur not only lowers pH, but, it is
also a fungicide which is beneficial against scab and scurf diseases. By
adding Sulfur to the furrow (or hole) where the seed piece goes, the pH can
be lowered around the growing tuber without affecting the soil pH of your
whole garden area.

I would sugguest that you stick with using Gypsum as a Calcium Source.

Peg Cook, Agronomist
Cook's Consulting

pegcook AT northnet.org