market-farming - Re: Tobacco Pathogen

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Liz Pike <pike AT always-online.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Tobacco Pathogen
  • Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 14:14:34 -0500

On Sun, 12 Mar 2000 13:50:29 -0500, you wrote:

>Liz,
>Are you saying that all smoking and chewing tobacco in this country is
>domestically grown or are you saying that there is a test of 'domestic
>tobacco products' for mosaic?

Oh, no--not all tobacco products are domestic. Whenever I asked about
TMV--from ag ext agents to plant disease pathologists, they all use
the same terms--"domestic" tobacco. I assume this does not include
imported, and would be very wary of it. But since TMV infects so many
other plants (petunias and marigolds, not just nightshade), getting it
from smokers is a small percentage of the possible threat of
infection.

>much imported tobacco is infected with mosaic?

I've asked the same--can't find info. Any help from our experts??

2 years ago I lost 100 plants from TMV, had plants tested to confirm,
from a friend who "tended" my garden in my absence. She
smoked--Italian cigars. And had refused to wear the gloves I
provided. Needless to say--she didn't get any tomatoes from me that
year--and she refuses to re-enter my garden ; )))).

Liz Pike
Morningstar Gardens
Pollocksville NC

Liz Pike