market-farming - Re: Peat pots

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Sojourner <sojournr AT missouri.org>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Peat pots
  • Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 19:32:06 -0600

Elizabeth Pike wrote:

> > farmer's market. I don't like the plastic thingies, would much
> rather
> > sell the customer something that isn't going to end up in a landfill
> > somewhere.
>
> If you do this (and I agree with Holly), remind customer to tear away
> top portion of pot as it will wick moisture from surrounding soil &
> dry out roots. It's actually better to tear off whole thing. My
> plant roots never made it out much beyond the pot.

I always fill 'em up and bottom water anyway. My plant roots,
particularly tomatoes, commonly grew through the sides of the pot if you
keep them consistently moist. In fact they'd tangle if I waited too
long to plant.

> Also, those tom plants can be planted right on up to the upper 2/3
> leaves--bury the whole plant!! Establishes a much stronger, sturdier
> plant. My dad planted his huge tomato transplants with post hole
> diggers!!!

I always plant in a trench. I found that tomatoes planted deep don't do
as well as the ones I lay with the stem going horizontally in a
shallower trench.

--
Holly ;-D
Contrary Peasant