market-farming - Re: APS systems

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Sojourner <sojournr AT missouri.org>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: APS systems
  • Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 19:36:52 -0600

Elizabeth Pike wrote:

> Did you have a difficult time getting them to take up the water from
> the capillary mat??

No, but I used the same mix - which I can't remember what it was anymore
- as I used for my soil blocks, and it had a high percentage of peat.

> I just couldn't get the capillary mats to work--either the mats
> didn't extend up into opening, or the soil didn't go down deep enough.

That could be the problem - you have to make sure the cell blocks are
well filled and without voids.

> I wonder since my well water is hard if this had anything to do with
> it--all those minerals.

I don't really know. The water where I used to live was very hard, very
high lime content I think, used to absolutely coat the inside of teapots
with a white shell, had to use vinegar to help dissolve the stuff off.
It still worked for me.

> I also found the pegs quite awkward to use
> in pushing out the plants when transplanting in the field. Ended up
> using a spoon--still awkward. I'll stick to my brownie flats.

Yeah, I figured I was just not very coordinated, but it did pop them
loose and then you could just pull them out carefully (especially
tomatoes) or turn it over and pop them out that way. Or a wooden peg
would work. I think I was using a piece of 2x4 cut to size as a
"pusher" for awhile.

--
Holly ;-D
Contrary Peasant

  • APS systems, Elizabeth Pike, 03/02/2000
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: APS systems, Sojourner, 03/02/2000