market-farming - Re: Peat pots

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Elizabeth Pike" <pike AT always-online.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Peat pots
  • Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 18:56:01 -0500

> farmer's market. I don't like the plastic thingies, would much
rather
> sell the customer something that isn't going to end up in a landfill
> somewhere.

If you do this (and I agree with Holly), remind customer to tear away
top portion of pot as it will wick moisture from surrounding soil &
dry out roots. It's actually better to tear off whole thing. My
plant roots never made it out much beyond the pot.

Also, those tom plants can be planted right on up to the upper 2/3
leaves--bury the whole plant!! Establishes a much stronger, sturdier
plant. My dad planted his huge tomato transplants with post hole
diggers!!!

Liz Pike
Morningstar Gardens
Pollocksville NC