market-farming - Re: tobacco flats was Re: plug flats and washing

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rose & Fred Lieberman" <pyrite AT clarityconnect.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: tobacco flats was Re: plug flats and washing
  • Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 11:34:58 -0800

Government intervention is a big buggaboo. Sometimes we want it. Sometimes
we need it.

Nobody likes to be told what to do, of how much of it they are permitted to
do, because WE always think WE'RE the ones who have the sanity not to abuse
the environment or the "system" - whatever that system happens to be.

I personally would like to see the government out of my life. I don't know
exactly what that even means, truth be told. The two of us are so connected
it would be impossible to even know what life would be like without it.

Everything seems to be regulated. Is it the government wanting to control
us? Is it the insurance companies? Is it the legal profession? The
pharmaceutical industry? Who knows who is in whose pocket any more?

When a woman keeps hot coffee in her lap as she drives off and the hot
coffee spills and scaulds her, she can sue and win, then some law is passed.

When an infant dies of an e-coli infection, laws are passed.

It seems the first thing the nation does is call upon the powers that be to
fix something. Then we complain the gubmint is too involved.

I guess we can't have it both ways.

Rose