market-farming - Re: tobacco flats was Re: plug flats and washing

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Sojourner <sojournr AT missouri.org>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: tobacco flats was Re: plug flats and washing
  • Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 09:00:08 -0600

Rose & Fred Lieberman wrote:

> The same restrictions for planting tobacco are also mirrored in making
> homemade whiskey, selling eggs and meat from your farm, and on and on and
> on...
>
> Tobacco is killing people. It should be restricted in every possible way.

McDonald's is killing people. Are we going to restrict other people's
diets as well? What's that going to do to those of us who sell eggs,
since one of the most popular and hard-to-kill dietary myths is that
eggs cause high cholestrol and thus also cause heart attacks?

While we're at it, why should the government tell us whether or not we
can make whiskey anyway? The only reason those laws were ever passed
was so the gubmint could tax heck out of it.

And before you go on a rampage of accusing me of not caring about people
who got lung cancer from smoking, let me point out to you that it has
only been a little over a week ago that I found out my Dad has lung
cancer. I'd been waiting for almost a month before that for him to get
a biopsy and get the results of the biopsy.

He's 81 years old and he smoked for over 50 years. He CHOSE to smoke.
He chose to smoke even after we all knew it was risky business. He
didn't quit until he had had a septuple bypass when he was 72 (a
hereditary condition unrelated to the smoking necessitated the bypass).

I wish I could send an imp back in time to pinch him black and blue
every time he even THOUGHT of picking up a cigarette. But it WAS his
choice.

--
Holly ;-D
Contrary Peasant