market-farming - Re: plug flats and washing

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: suzyr AT netos.com (Suzy Roth)
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: plug flats and washing
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 22:40:53 -0800

For those of you who grow from seed, I'm wondering about the necessity of
sterilizing plug flats and other materials before reusing them. I've been
dipping my used plug flats in a big bucket with a bit of bleach and lots of
water in it, and I do the same with 6-packs and other pots I've gotten back
to reuse. It is a bit of a pain to do this....I don't even like to wash
dishes, let alone hundreds of pots, so I'm wondering if it is really
necessary.

Lee,
I agree with everyone else's assessment about not needing to wash and bleach your plug flats. I gave that up after the first time I had to figure out where to dump the stuff! I also don't wash and bleach my pots or packs. I worked with a semi-organic nursery a few years ago and we never had any trouble reusing pots without washing them and I've continued that system in my business. Air circulation has been the most important factor in keeping the plants healthy (besides remembering to water them;-)

Suzy Roth
Thistle Ridge Farm & Gardens
Issaquah, WA