market-farming - Re: plug flats and washing

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Dave Miller <recycler AT eclipse.net>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Cc: "Schwartz, Audrey" <Audrey74 AT aol.com>
  • Subject: Re: plug flats and washing
  • Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 01:09:09 -0500

Lee, (Audrey),

Take it from my own experience, sterilization is a definite maybe, ok
make that a probable yes. Many seeds started in a sterilized pro-starter
mix with old plug pots will not care. Other seeds in scooped up soil
will not care. Depends too upon where your plug flats have been.
However, this is not always true and can be far from true. I have found
signs of rodents (droppings or a nest)- a sure sign to bleach. A few
remnants such as leaves and garden leftovers rarely hurt but they can
and will contribute to mildew, mold, dampening of roots, extraneous
insects (I have a certain tiny gnat-like fly now), surely because I
failed to at least scrape off the old soil or potting mix.

However, I am learning. As we speak 2/25/00, I have several flats where
the soil is crusting, moldy and showing few of the signs of life I
intended! The onions don't care but the impatients do. The peppers are
getting by.

I for one know that the more mature the transplant, the less it cares
(rather the more adaptable it is) but in the beginning and the thinner
type stalks, the more susceptible. It also seems that smaller seeds
which need a shallower planting depth (1/8th - 1/4") are more suspect to
the rot. Whenever possible, I stir up the plant medium and I use
filtered water for the indoor plants to reduce excess salts.

Maybe we could all exchange what plants are more and less tolerant of
clean soil/soil mix? I would appreciate hearing how others deal with
starting soil conditions but from a non-chemical point of view. Let me
rephrase that, I could see using vinegar, hydrogen peroxide, baking soda
and sometimes bleach to wash but I won't but a fumigant.

How do others cope and make it worthwhile, even profitable? Your
thoughts will help all of us to reduce strong chemical dependancy for
disinfection...

Dave,
ZONE 6 most of the time
remodeler, drummer, farmer, soapmaker