market-farming - women and small market gardens

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Sue <swtgrssfrm AT nls.net>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: women and small market gardens
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 09:26:37 -0500

I was interested in hearing from the women out there that do alot of the
work in the garden themselves. We have about 2 acres in veggies. My
husband does the tractor work early on as well as helping with the
seeding and planting transplants but after that the bulk of the weeding,
harvesting falls on my shoulders. As of yet we haven't hired any help.
I have 3 children 8, 6 and 3 who are with me as well. Any kindred
spirits out there? We are going on our 3rd year and are gradually
increasing our garden each year. This year we plan on having an on
farm market in addition to selling wholesale to organic grocers and
restaurants. We sell grass-fed beef, pastured poultry and eggs too.
This time of year I get to feeling a little antsy thinking of all that
is ahead of me. Thanks,
Sue