market-farming - Re: women and small market gardens

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lee Lawton <llami AT teleport.com>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: women and small market gardens
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 11:13:32 -0800

For years and years I had this crazy dream of moving to the country and
growing food for market, and living a life without air thick with car
exhaust, without the sound of sirens all night long, being able to cross a
street without running, being able to see the stars at night, putting
something back in the earth that mattered, and living in accord with nature.
I was middle-aged before I could get here, and I can tell you that Mom
Nature is Mommy Dearest in more ways than one!

I've always loved gardening. Used to grow all my own veggies in the big
city, and I was a master gardener, too. I don't have a husband to help me;
in fact, I've never known a man who would be interested in what I've taken
on here.

I started about 3 years ago, too. Each year, I've expanded by at least four
times as much as the year before. I grow everything organically. Started a
nursery business last year, with a 30x96 greenhouse. Actually, I started the
plant sales two years ago, but I ran out of room in the kitchen, bathroom,
basement, porch, etc. and realized I'd have to have a greenhouse. I raise
all my own starts, plus sell starts at farmer's markets, and that has
expanded the early market business considerably. I now have wholesale
accounts, too. I'm raising over 400 varieties of vegetables this year.

Veggies are grown out in 2 deer-fenced gardens, each about 1000 sq. ft., in
permanent beds with t-tape irrigation. Got water rights here, thankfully. I
also grow inside the greenhouse now, too. Plus another area about 50x50,
currently in potatoes, for a two-year rotation. Adding a 20x96 hoop house
this year for early hardening-off and then row crops. I'm making it so it
can be moved for crop rotation in 2 years. Adding 500 asparagus crowns this
year, too.

I've also got about 3-4 acres in tree fruit and nuts. That has been a big
project, as these orchards had been neglected for years, and pruning ideas
have changed a lot in the last 2 decades. Got about 2/3's of that under
control now, and am working on getting better quality fruit organically. I
also harvest wild blackberries for market sales--very popular around here.
I've also got raspberries which were here when I bought the place.

Plus about 60 chickens, increasing to 100 this year. I sell eggs at the
market, also wholesale to a health food store.

I have one part-time man (he works part-time; presumably he is a man
full-time!) who is fairly reliable. I've hired some of his relatives for day
work now and then. It is a huge expense, but there is no way to do all this
alone. Hopefully, there will come a time when the major building will be
finished, and there will be more profit than investment.....hopefully!

Don't know how women with small children do this work, but I admire those
that can, and I think it is a wonderful thing for children to experience. My
helper brings his whole family sometimes, and his kids sure have fun here!

I don't know if antsy is how I feel this time of year. Scared to death is
probably closer to the truth! I spend a lot of time getting things
organized, so when the season hits, I can just follow directions! Having a
good computer and the internet has been extremely valuable in so many ways.

I know this has been long, but I don't talk much usually, and with seeding
already begun, I'll be nice and quiet pretty soon!

Good luck to you all in the coming growing year,

Lee Lawton
Over the Rainbow Farm
Junction City, Oregon