market-farming - Re: women and small market gardens

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lucy Goodman-Owsley <goodows AT excite.com>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: women and small market gardens
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 12:01:47 -0800 (PST)

I work with my husband as full time market gardeners/farmers doing a 5 acre
garden along with 75 layers and 100 meat chickens during the spring/summer.

I guess I lucked out and married a guy who has the same passion for organic
farming that I do. We started with about 1000 sqft 8 years ago and have
steadily grown since. I do most of the delivering, CSA/market planning,
weeding, harvest and post harvest duties and Eugene gets to do tillage
duties, fixing things (fencing, engines, buildings, pumps), building things,
cutting wood, compost building, pulling boulders outta the fields-the heavy
work. Together we do seedlings, transplanting, mulching, chickens and
farmers markets. We both average about 12hrs a day in the garden during the
growing season. Actually i get to less outside because I am the cook in the
family so I leave the field about an hour early (I was elected cook by
virture of that being my profession before market gardening) unless we eat
out.

I don't have kids.

I find we have releationship problems that correspond to garden
problems-looking at planting several thousand seedlings in a 2 to 3 day
period is usually precceded by fights. though this happens less and less as
we get better at working with each other. for the most part we have
segregated a lot of our duties so we don't have petty arguements of how
something should be done-that took a few years to figure out.

personally I am looking forward to this coming season-got everything started
that should be started by now, The weather is warming up, I can't wait.

Lucy Goodman-Owsley
Boulder Belt CSA
New Paris, OH
Website: http://www.angelfire.com/oh2/boulderbeltcsa