market-farming - Re: Storage for display of produce

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Marc & Marcy <marc AT aculink.net>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Storage for display of produce
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2000 09:09:54 -0700

I visited a well established organic grower in South Central
MO. They would set up the entire washing setup in the
greenhouse they were currently harvesting. They would put
the greens in a converted washing machine and HAND wash them
in the machine's tub. After the wash they machine would spin
dry them. I don't recall if more than one hand washing was
used. After the final spin dry the greens immediately would
be placed in cardboard boxes lined with a plastic bag and
placed in the refrigerated transport truck. After several
days the truck was used to transport the greens to Kansas
City restaurants and other customers. Drive time was around
4 hours to KC.

Marc