market-farming - Re: Market niches-harvesting herbs

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Elizabeth Pike" <pike AT always-online.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Market niches-harvesting herbs
  • Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 19:44:04 -0500

Speaking of basil, have any of you ever grown Spicy Globe? It makes a
nice round "head" about 10" wide, 10" tall. I've grown it every year,
but last year, as a fluke on one very hot harvest day, I cut the
whole plant. I took it to market, placing it in a vase, intending to
just have it perfume the air around my booth. It was gorgeous, and a
chef paid $12 for the whole plant-$4 more than what I could have
gotten by selling the leaves. He kept coming back every week to buy
those "whole" basil plants. The leaves are much smaller than Green
Ruffles, which I prefer to sell & cook with, but he loved this size
for using on tables instead of flowers. He asked for more this year,
but unfortunately, I've had to get my flower growing friend to grow
them as we will be having our trees "harvested". My flower growing
friend also grows basil for her flower bouquets. Customers come by
our booths (they're side by side) and can't help but want to cook!

Liz
Morningstar Gardens
Pollocksville NC