market-farming - Re: Market niches-harvesting herbs

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Sue <swtgrssfrm AT nls.net>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Market niches-harvesting herbs
  • Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2000 16:25:33 -0500

Alex McGregor wrote:

> The fresh herbs are also a niche- because they're fresh and I don't use N
> fertilizer
> (chemical or "organic") to force rapid growth. They therefore have a higher
> aromatic oil
> content. One chef passed bags of my basil and mint around to some of his
> regulars saying,
> "This is why the food tastes so good- his herbs."

I grew some basil- about 100 plants last year to try to expand into the herb
market. My
problem was with the harvesting. I would cut the new growth off every couple
days or so. I
wasn't very systematic but would snip off a couple inches worth of stem and
leaves. I think
I might of been a little protective of the plants and didn't snip off enough.
It seemed very
labor intensive to pick basil this way. About how big can you make the cut
on basil with out
it being too much? Thanks,
Sue