market-farming - Re: Market niches-harvesting herbs

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Alex McGregor <waldenfarm AT sprintmail.com>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Market niches-harvesting herbs
  • Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2000 18:26:41 -0500

Sue,

I harvest the leaf clusters at the end of the stems and leave the other
leaves on. This is fast,
you get multiple leaves with one snip. It also stimulates the plants to grow
2 leaf clusters on
the end of the branches. I harvest lightly when the plants are medium size
and take off all
terminal clusters when they're large or start developing flower buds. I cut
off all leaves right
before frost for selling and drying.

Alex McGregor
Walden Farm