market-farming - Re: Market niches-harvesting herbs

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Adriana Gutierrez" <gutierrez-lagatta AT home.com>
  • To: market-farming
  • Subject: Re: Market niches-harvesting herbs
  • Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 18:52:54

basil- about 100 plants last year to try to expand into the herb market.
My
> problem was with the harvesting. I would cut the new growth off every
> couple days or so.
I harvest my plants once a week and it seems to provide adequate recovery
time and gives you enough to harvest without having to hunt for sprigs that
are ready.

> labor intensive to pick basil this way. About how big can you make the cut
> on basil with out it being too much?
I usually cut the sprigs at about 6 inches long.The most critical thing is
to get that first cut in early to encourage branching.