market-farming - Re: Incubators as germination chambers?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Alex McGregor <waldenfarm AT sprintmail.com>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Incubators as germination chambers?
  • Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2000 19:42:01 -0500

Marie,

Light is a problem, but it may well work to get seeds to germinate in cold
weather. Just
be sure to take them out and put them in a cold frame or somewhere they get
enough light
as soon as you see the first sprouts.

I start lettuce and other salads greens in the hot summer under a huge
hemlock tree. I
set up benches and put flats on and under them. Then cover the whole thing
with used row
cover to keep birds and squirrels out. I carry them out to a sunny spot as
soon as I see
the first sprouts breaking the surface.

Works great, so going the other way with temp. probably will work.

Alex McGregor
Walden Farm
Walden Ridge, TN