market-farming - Re: Incubators as germination chambers?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Elizabeth Pike" <pike AT always-online.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Incubators as germination chambers?
  • Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 19:53:34 -0500

Marie, I've had mixed results in seeding without light. The seedlings
seem to need more light than the more mature plants. I've had such
poor success even starting seeds on windowsills, I don't do any now
without good, strong direct light tubes. If they do not get enough
light, the stems will lengthen before the first leaves form which
leads to a very weak plant. I would really try to get that light!

Now, if you want to use those incubators for something, you might
consider presprouting. I do this alot with crops I transplant & use
less plants such as tomatoes, peppers, etc-not good for lettuce,
brassicas. I presprout the seeds then as soon as the little root
appears, plant them up right away. Presprouting guarantees
germination (you only plant out the ones with roots) and forces the
seeds to sprout sooner, days sooner.

Liz
Morningstar Gardens
Pollocksville NC