market-farming - Re: Re: asparagus

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: HMSTDFRMS AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Re: asparagus
  • Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 20:34:46 EST

I'm thinking of covering the rows of asparagus with

wire hoop tunnels, then pasturing poultry in the area.

Please comment on this notion. :-)

We have had WONDERFUL results rotating our pastured turkeys in the 3/4 acre
asparagus bed. We wait until after the harvest, and the ferns are well
established for the season. Then we used electrified poultry netting that
could be moved through the bed as necessary. The turkeys broke only a few
ferns, and did not eat them. They concentrated on the weeds between the rows,
and did a great job! In previous years, we paid a couple of kids to come in
and weed the bed, now the turkeys are my weeders. A farm visitor asked me if
I felt a bit like a cannibal when we eat the employees! :))
Linda
Homestead Farms