market-farming - Fading Into Lurk Mode...

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Dori Green" <dorigreen00 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Fading Into Lurk Mode...
  • Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 21:57:02 EST

Everything is fine here but I'm going to be silent for a few days -- "Buffy the Slayer" surprised me today with a beautiful perfect huge doeling, full term and at least a month earlier than I had expected her. Buffy is a stocky little steer-type Experimental (Alpine-Nubian-Spanish mixed breed) doe not a year old yet, that baby had to have been folded over double in there. Daddy "Stinky Scotty" is smirking.

Buffy's mother "Not the Momma" is wider than she is tall, and has no tail ligaments tonight. There could be triplets in the barn by morning!

As others who include livestock in their CSA and market farms know, the first couple of weeks of human socialization with a new animal can make the difference between success with visitors and an animal that's always going to be stressed when the crowds of kids arrive.

So that's what I'll be doing, playing with "Ash Grove's Imbolc" rather than replying to any posts -- for at least a week or two. That's okay -- mom and baby are doing great and I'm completely in love.

See y'all later!

Dori Green
Ash Grove Community Farm
Corning, NY