market-farming - Re: Asparagus

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Alex McGregor <waldenfarm AT sprintmail.com>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Asparagus
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 15:07:05 -0500

Andy,

I have been looking at expanding our asparagus production. I contacted ATTRA
and received
a very thorough packet of information on culture, marketing and market
assessment.

The only thing I can't find anything on is FLAVOR. This is one of the most
important
things since we market direct. Our niche is freshness, flavor and unique
varieties. Our
Martha Washington is a good producer and has great flavor. I can't seem to
get any flavor
information on the new, high producing cultivars. Since you indicate that you
would
direct market your asparagus, I would encourage you to take flavor into
account.

Alex