market-farming - Re: Asparagus

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: SCook21809 AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Asparagus
  • Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2000 02:41:05 EST

<< The only thing I can't find anything on is FLAVOR. This is one of the most
important things since we market direct. Our niche is freshness, flavor and
unique varieties. Our Martha Washington is a good producer and has great
flavor. I can't seem to get any flavor information on the new, high producing
cultivars. >>

Alex,
The question begs. Is it the cultivar or the soil management that
determines FLAVOR? I've got an opinion. But it isn't supported by
significant research. Asparagus is a perenial that requires specific soil
management. I don't produce nearly enough asparagus to approach competence
on the subject. But my observations of the small plantings I have lead me to
a connection between soil microbial condition and asparagus flavor.
The more fungally mediated the soil the more amazing the asparagus
flavor. In my book, learning to grow good asparagus is the first step in
learning how to grow good mushrooms. My asparagus ferns grow to a height of
eight feet on a clay loam soil. We call it the enchanted asparagus forest.
I use quite a bit of composted coffee grounds as a top dressing for my
asparagus beds because of its diverse fungal populations, carbon to nitrogen
ratios and proliferative effects on earthworms. Top dressing or mulching is
much more beneficial for synergetic fungal populations than mixing it into
the soil.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Art Biggert
Ocean Sky Farm