market-farming - Re: asparagus

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Aaron Silverman <cgrowers AT pond.net>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: asparagus
  • Date: Thu, 3 Feb 00 08:34:40 -0800

>I want to start a 1/2 acre asparagus bed. It will be on piece of ground
>that was over-grazed pasture under oak trees on a steep hillside of clay and
>rock soil.

Is this the best or only site for your enterprise? From your description
it sounds like you'll be fighting your soil for a long time.

Ideal conditions for crops don't necessarily eliminate all conditions
outside the ideal, however, the farther away you get from what the crop
likes, the more work required. Asparagus' ideal soil is sandy loam with a
fairly high organic matter/humus content, with a pH close to 7. "The Real
Dirt" published by NOFA suggests that potassium and phosphorus levels
should be high for asparagus. Suggested N applications after
establishment are 5-10 tons per acre of aged manure or compost.

Another good source for information on asparagus, and other crops, is
Vern Grubinger's "Sustainable Vegetable Production from Start-up to
Market," published by NRAES and available through any farm publications
source.

Aaron

Creative Growers
Aaron Silverman