market-farming - Re: freezing and value added

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Dori Green" <dorigreen00 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: freezing and value added
  • Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2000 08:40:45 EST

Before spending money on a commercial kitchen, check with your area's jobs development council. Many rural areas are working to develop small-scale processing opportunities -- incubator kitchens, rented kitchen space that can be shared by groups of gardeners, etc.

It's looking like the little licensed kitchen at next door's auction barn and 3D archery range might pass muster for canning and freezing operations. Won't hurt quality at all that it's less than 100 feet from my main field! But before we sign any rental agreements we're making completely sure that our plans pass all of the requirements of the health department, ag and markets, yadda yadda.

Dori Green
Ash Grove Community Farm
Corning, NY

http://www.ic.org/agrove

Intentional Community with local and long-distance members
Chemical-free fruits, vegetables, herbs, and flowers
Dairy and pack and draft goats
Free-range chickens, ducks, and geese (watch where you step)
Affordable housing cooperative
Regional farmer's marketing cooperative
Partnerships
Dried herbs and American-grown Black Tea by mail-order