market-farming - Re: freezing and value added

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Elizabeth Pike" <pike AT always-online.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: freezing and value added
  • Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 17:13:29 -0500

Jeff >and yes, you can have your own family kitchen certified for
"some types" of food service.<

These laws vary from state to state, which you probably already know
; ). In NC, it isn't possible. Unless, you want to put in an extra
sink just for washing hands-can't do anything else with it, and keep
everything under refrigeration-41* to be exact, 43* degrees &
everything gets dumped, anyone under 16 can't operate things like
blenders, mixers, etc, or be in it past 7:00pm....I won't go on.

We handle food poisoning complaints about once a month at our
restaurant-we serve 700-1000 people daily, except Sundays (we're
closed!). In 20 years, we haven't had one complaint proven by a
doctor, emergency room physician or the health department. We've been
sued 7 times-all cases dropped. A tummy ache, & customers see us as
big pockets. Maybe they wouldn't do this to farmers. But then again,
in these litigious times, I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

If you do this, be careful.

Liz
Morningstar Gardens
Pollocksville NC