market-farming - Re: fence posts

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "D.Bennett" <bennett AT frognet.net>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: fence posts
  • Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 23:46:53 -0500

>looks like a big piece of pipe, closed at the top end, with two handles
>on either side. You lift it over the top of the post, then you just
>lift it up and let it drop onto the top of the post. The post pretty
>much drives itself (if the soil is moderately moist, anyway, probably
>would be much harder in dry clay soil which is like concrete).

Yeah, this is what I used for a long time too, until one day
I found an even better way. Now I hold the post and hubby
just pushes it down in the groud using the front-end loader
bucket of the new tractor I bought him. :-) Of course,
$25,000 for JUST a post driver would be kind of
expensive, so he does have to use it for other things
too, like mowing, hauling manure, dragging logs.....