market-farming - Re: fence posts

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Michaele Blakely" <mjb AT premier1.net>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: fence posts
  • Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 20:33:39 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: Nancy Haycock <nhaycock AT pratt.edu>
To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, February 01, 2000 11:33 AM
Subject: fence posts

> Hi Nancy:

If your ground is soft you can do it by yourself with a fence post driver.
It'll be a breeze with two people. When I have to put up posts that are
taller than I am, I lean the post horizontal to the ground, slide the driver
over, stand on a five gallon bucket and tap until I get the post secure
enough for some hard drives. Just be sure to secure your corners either
with wooden posts or tie wires (guy wires) attached to the t posts. I've
also been known to soften the ground a day or so before if I need to put
fencing up and it hasn't rained for awhile.
I'm not sure, but is 7' gonna be tall enough or are you thinking of angling
or maybe doing a double fence? (I'm thinking 9' total of post). The only
deer fence I've used has been a low one with peanut butter on the foil, so
I've never researched just how high a deer will jump although I know it can
be pretty high.
Hope that helps.
Michaele
Growing Things