market-farming - Re: fence posts

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rose & Fred Lieberman" <pyrite AT clarityconnect.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: fence posts
  • Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 16:22:34 -0800

Oh, well, I don't know if it's crazy to stand on a ladder and pound, but I
can tell you my experience.

I held the tall green heavy "t" post while my husband wielded the mallet.
(I was less than thrilled about this arrangement, but with my shoulders'
penchant for locking up, he got the "wielding" job).

Well, the first hit, the vibrations travelled down the pole and hit my hands
and travelled to my wrist. I saw stars! Mind you, nothing "physical"
touched me, but that travelling vibe almost knocked me over.

Not only that, but it is dangerous. Ladders and step stools - for us - are
out of the question. If you have a flatbed truck, or a tailgate that goes
down, maybe.

But, for our place here, knowing each other the way I do - our shortcomings
'n all - I've opted for the more expensive 5' step-in posts.

They're 3 bucks each, you put it where you want it, you step on the little
footholder, and umph! You're in. You still have to install a good solid
corner post, concreted in, but for all the "line posts" I'd go with the $3
thingy, or the even less expensive "temporary" steel posts with the
triangular doodad on the bottom.

If I had my druthers, I'd have someone else put in 10' locust posts and
string 8 lines of hot wire. End of story!

But, alas, flower farming hasn't made me rich and famous, yet. Maybe next
year...

Rose