market-farming - fence posts

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Nancy Haycock <nhaycock AT pratt.edu>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: fence posts
  • Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2000 14:33:11 -0500

Hi, I just bought my farm up in Delaware County in New York, and I've
already noticed that a great many deer have gotten used to passing their
free time in areas where I plan to plant vegetables. So, I need to put
up fencing this spring. I read the email over the weekend about fence
height, and I'm wondering whether anyone has put up 9' (2' in the
ground) fence posts without a tractor for help. Is it crazy to think
about standing on a ladder or something to pound in posts? I was
thinking I would use electric fencing, since I figure I will probably
reconfigure things at some point when I'm smarter.
Any manual fence post advice?
Thanks.
Nancy Haycock
Hand in Hand Farm