market-farming - Is scab species specific?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rose & Fred Lieberman" <pyrite AT clarityconnect.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Is scab species specific?
  • Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 16:15:14 -0800

We moved here last year. The only thing I knew about the acreage I tilled
and used was that it functioned mostly as a hayfield and for a couple of
years the neighbor dairy farmer grazed cows there.

Well you certainly can tell where the cows like to loiter. Beautiful soil!

We planted potatoes. One cultivar that was not highly resistant to scab
definitely did develop scab. So, now when I purchase seed potatoes - for
home and for market - I'm getting "highly resistant" varieties.

But my question is this. Is scab a species specific ailment? In other
words, if my potatoes have it, will the apple trees that I plant 50 feet or
100 feet away develop it too? Are there "transpecie" problems here?

Thanks,

Rose

  • Is scab species specific?, Rose & Fred Lieberman, 02/01/2000