market-farming - Re: freezing

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: cappy AT harborside.com
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>, Marcie Rosenzweig <fullcircle AT jps.net>
  • Subject: Re: freezing
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 10:35:27 -0800

Quoting Marcie Rosenzweig <fullcircle AT jps.net>:

> Liz,
>
> > Do any of you freeze your excess whatever & sell
it later?? Would this
> >be regulated by health departments??
>
> Regulated big time by the health departments here.
You might be able to do
> it IF the was a commercial kitchen to prepare the
berries -- wash 'em, cap
> 'em, bag 'em, and then froze them. I'm not even
sure that would fly here.

> Marcie A. Rosenzweig
> Full Circle Organic Farm
> Auburn, CA
>

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to market-farming as:
cappy AT harborside.com
> $subst('Email.Unsub')

Hello,

Here in the northwest there are more commercial
incubator kitchens popping up with full facilities and
every imaginable kind of equipment. (and marketing help
and health regulations support and information)

There's one at Hood River Community College (east of
Portland) that is open 24 hours - rents kitchen time at
$10 an hour. I know of of college gal in Portland who
is putting herself through school using the kitchen to
bake her ginger snap cookies, Hannah's Snaps. She
bakes, bags and labels them there and sells at the
Portland Saturday market.

Just heard about another in Washington state - $9 an
hour.

You might try locating commercial kitchens in your area.
The internet can help - type in incubator commercial
kitchens.

Wonder if there is a network association of kitchens?
I can call the Hood River one and find out.

Cappy Tosetti
on the Oregon coast

www.bumpercropmarketing.com