market-farming - Re: Production methods: tillage, beds, rows, etc.

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "five springs farm" <fsfarm AT mufn.org>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Production methods: tillage, beds, rows, etc.
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 10:02:44 -0500

If anyone mentioned a braodfork in this thread we missed it. It is our
favorite tool for working in raised beds. it has several long (12" or so,
depending on who makes it) tines on a sturdy set of handles. We learned
about it in an Eliot Coleman book and use it plenty for cultivating and
"fluffing" up the beds. It can substitute for double digging, at least to
some extent.

The EZ Digger (it goes by several other names, a Korean tool that looks a
like a little handheld plow) is a favorite for close weeding.

We have about 1/2 acre of raised beds, and think we get more production out
of a smaller space this way. They were formed up originally with a Troybuilt
Horse tiller with a Hiller attachment. By running the hiller at about 31/2
foot intervals you can make the trails, then a garden rake can be used to
form up the beds.

Jim and Jo
The Community Farm Newsletter
http://www.mufn.org/public/tcf