market-farming - Re: Production methods: tillage, beds, rows, etc.

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Sojourner <sojournr AT missouri.org>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Production methods: tillage, beds, rows, etc.
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 15:09:11 -0600

"Lawrence F. London, Jr." wrote:

> Its a pretty interesting topic and I think may offer major benefits
> for market farming. Raised beds in the shape of mandalas with crenelated
> edges, merging at the edges with other mandalas (or fractal designs of
> groups of mandalas), created with the intent of being permanent beds,
> never to be ploughed up, reshaped or moved, offer great potential
> for plant production. Nutrient conservation and recycling, exchange
> of nutrients between beds through leaching, erosion control, enhanced
> habitat for microorganisms and beneficial insects are a few of the
> benefits to be had from building garden beds with edge zones in mind.
> I think that gardens can be made more productive and less labor-intensive
> using this principle.

OK, I know there are a lot of benefits to raised beds and will most
likely move to a raised bed system as I get things going here, but what
difference does the SHAPE of the beds make? Seems to me that laying out
"mandalas" or other odd designs would be time consuming and difficult
for little or no payback. What's the advantage of the shape itself?

--
Holly ;-D
Contrary Peasant