market-farming - Re: Production methods: tillage, beds, rows, etc.

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rose & Fred Lieberman" <pyrite AT clarityconnect.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Production methods: tillage, beds, rows, etc.
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 10:21:35 -0800

Hi, Holly. Let me see if I can give your question justice...

Earthway Precision Seeder. Sunflower seeds were the worst. Also, there
were some dry bean seeds that didn't space well either, even though there is
a specific disc for them. I think they were Cannelini and Jacob's Cattle.
Small seeds, like broccoli, were fair to midlin. Corn was excellent,
though.

So, what I will do in the future is sow the sunflowers by hand - and, of
course, immediately go to the chiropractor!. All tiny seeds that are
direct-sown will be mixed with sand to distribute them better within the
medium.

Raised Beds. I'll be using those for bush beans, zinnias, and most of my
not-so-tall flowers. Really tall flowers I'll plant in a row, probably.
I'll plant things in raised beds that don't suffer from lack of mulch. If
anything is sensitive to weed pressure, I'll either use black plastic on a
raised bed, or plant them in rows and side-mulch the row.

But, to tell the truth, if I my newly tilled soil had a little more tilth to
it, I'd simply plant everything in rows, except those early plants that
benefit from the warmer soil of a raised bed.

Of course, that's what I do. If anyone has an easier or more logical
approach, PLEEEEEEZ let me know.

Rose