lyceum-users - Re: [Lyceum-users] .htaccess and redirects

  • From: DaveG <lyceum AT solidgone.com>
  • To: John Neil <John.Neil AT uts.edu.au>
  • Cc: lyceum-users AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Lyceum-users] .htaccess and redirects
  • Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 22:16:07 -0400

In your scenario I think the fundamental issue is how are you going to determine whether the URL gets treated as a lyceum URL or as a Drupal URL. This is important because your processing rules for each are different. In other words, what are the rules for Lyceum and Drupal url processing? What will Drupal URL's look like, and what will Lyceum URL's look like, and what do you want the user to see in the browser? If you can provide samples of the Drupal and Lyceum url's and how you want that URL rewritten it will be easier to help with the .htaccess rules.

I'm looking for something like:
Drupal base url: http://www.mydomain.com/index.php?q=1234
Drupal user url: http://www.mydomain.com/drupal/file1

Lyceum base url: http://www.mydomain.com/lyceum/......
Drupal user url: http://www.mydomain.com/.....

# Various rewrite rules.
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www\.(.*)
RewriteRule ^(.*) http://%1/$1 [R,L]
These two lines handle any url requests to www.yourdomain.com and change it into yourdomain.com. In the case on lifehaiku we need this because we make use of Lyceums ability to store blogs like myblog.mydomain.com. Are you doing this on your site? If not remove those lines.

RewriteRule ^(.*) lyceum/$1 [QSA,L]
This last line basically says to redirect *all* requests to the lyceum directory. The L directive at the end says to stop processing the .htaccess file after this rule. That's a problem since now we're not doing any Drupal stuff that follows. So remove that last line. The problem now is that no lyceum
<SNIP>
# Rewrite current-style URLs of the form 'index.php?q=x'.
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php?q=$1 [L,QSA]
If the requested URL is not a file and it's not a directory then rewrite the url to the format index.php?q=xxxx. This is the Drupal processing. The problem again is that at no point have we determined a criteria for differentiating Drupal from Lyceum -- so they get handled the same way, which has to be wrong for one case at least.