livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] "You don't actually drink the milk do you?"

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Liz" <liz@allslash.org>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] "You don't actually drink the milk do you?"
  • Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2011 22:26:21 -0400

Opposition arises out of a horror of
human s**t and a preference that it be "out of sight, out of mind,"
which in turn is based on utter ignorance of natural processes e.g. how
nature safely (and beneficially) disposes of excrement using decomposer
organisms.

Very interesting article, but I too doubt it will be accepted widely enough to make it work. The few conversations I've had with people about sawdust toilets and humanure and similar subjects ended (abruptly) with "EWWWWW! That's NASTY!!!!"

Hard to make any progress against a kneejerk reaction like that.

Liz