livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] "You don't actually drink the milk do you?"

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] "You don't actually drink the milk do you?"
  • Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2011 20:00:39 +0100

No strange mix at all Kate. Mostly hazel nuts with some walnuts, quite a few almonds and the very lonesome brazil nut. And I found it hard to believe myself that it freaked people out. Ten again nuts are only common in most shops here at haloween. This is also the only time we will see fresh coconuts in a few shops and I seem to be the only one buying them.

But thinking back...it must be nearly 20 years ago that my children walking to school picked blackberries along their way and some of their peers found this "gross" because they had learned at home that blackberries were ful of worms. Few people pick blackberries here and they are everywhere wild for the taking.

And we have seen people here who could not eat a fresh, free range egg because it was "too strong". Some people ask specially for well sprayed vegetables because they "would die" if they found an insect or a slug hiding under a leaf. And these are rural people. The cities are much better.
john

I honestly find it very difficult to believe that anyone would be
"freaked" by someone cracking nuts ... but maybe your friend brought
something exotic.

Whole pecans, walnuts, brazil nuts and almonds are all actually pretty
common and you can get many of them at grocery stores, at least in the
U.S. I don't think so many generations have lapsed that people cannot
fathom cracking nuts or - for that matter - shelling beans or pulling
up potatoes (or peanuts).

I can see where animal products are more removed from common
interaction and the raw product could be daunting. But that is due to
regulations that prohibit - or require pet-food labeling - of raw milk
and egg products, not because people are too stupid figure out that
eggs from a neighbor's chickens are probably healthier than the stuff
at the grocery store.

In fact, I don't know anyone who would take a grocery store egg over a
fresh egg, and I have always lived in urban areas where people don't
see chickens.

- Kate