livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] "You don't actually drink the milk do you?"

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Liz" <liz@allslash.org>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] "You don't actually drink the milk do you?"
  • Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2011 22:39:03 -0400

In fact, I don't know anyone who would take a grocery store egg over a
fresh egg, and I have always lived in urban areas where people don't
see chickens.

And I live in a rural area where a lot of people have chickens, and there are still people here who won't eat local eggs. Why? Because they aren't "inspected." Or the person would rather be able to buy their eggs any time they need them and not have to wait for the co-worker to bring them in, or for the weekly farmers market to be open. Or they're not sure they're "real" eggs (the most frequent question I hear is "Can you use them like, you know, REAL eggs?"). Or they bought some local eggs once, and one of them had a tiny spot of blood or manure on it, or a little piece of straw (on the outside, I mean) , so they had to throw it out and they don't want to take a chance on them again. Or they bought local eggs and the carton had six different sizes in it, and they didn't like not having them all the same size (yes, someone did give that as an excuse). Or they visited a farm to buy eggs and the chickens were running around loose eating things off the ground! Every time I think I've heard it all, someone comes up with another crazy one.

Liz