livingontheland - [Livingontheland] chicken breeds

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Barbara Money <bmoney9@verizon.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] chicken breeds
  • Date: Sun, 01 May 2011 20:43:53 -0400

Still debating raising my own chickens. I get my eggs from a neighbor that free-ranges them, but they do get some commercial feed. But, I am finding it next to impossible to locate a good source of pasture-raised meat (any kind) that will sell small cuts/packages that I don't need a huge freezer for. So I'm thinking meat birds, that I can cull on an as-needed basis. What are good breeds for:
1. greater percentage of dark meat (so many meat birds boast huge gobs of breast meat which I end up feeding the cats--hmm, not a bad idea save on cat food--but they have skinny little thighs),
2. hardy for New England winters,
3. disease resistant/easy care in general
4. can pack on the pounds with free-range/minimal protein feed

And would it be efficient enough to slaughter one or 2 birds at a time, or would it be better to have a processor do a bunch of them? But then I am back to needing a big freezer...

...or, meat rabbits?

thanks,
Barbara M, Foster, RI

--