livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Population

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pete Vukovich <pvukovic1@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Population
  • Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2011 09:46:28 -0800 (PST)

Certainly education is part of the problem, but there are two issues I think are forgotten.

 First is carrying capacity, the united states has non zero population growth last time I checked and estimates I've read suggest it may be 2 or 3 times its carrying capacity already. Although its important to remember these estimates are probably largely based on the status quo of current lifestyles.

 Second countries which have tried education, incentives, and legal restrictions like india and china still have non zero population growth India was like 1.8 percent last time I checked, and I can't remember china's. Certainly education reduces growth, but it doesn't seem to eliminate it.

 It might be possible for there to be enough food to be produced with sustainable farming, or maybe not, but food is not the only resource were going to have to consider. I don't think its logically possible for any sort of farming to feed an immeasurably high population of any one species though. What's lacking in most every country is a serious desire to figure out what a stable reasonable population consists of it simply doesn't fit the emotional needs of individuals or the social and political goals of most governments to invest in figuring what carrying capacities are.